Why Oprah is ‘likely livid’ over Harry’s latest move

0
Penny Burfitt

Penny Burfitt· Lifestyle & Entertainment Producer – yahoo

Harry and Meghan’s explosive interview with Oprah Winfrey will air in Australia on Monday, March 8 at 7:30 pm on Channel 10 the network today confirmed, but it seems the talk show host may have been left seriously disgruntled after another high-profile American show stole her thunder.

Though the interview is touted as an exclusive ‘tell-all’, the first time the royal duo would open up truthfully about their experiences, Harry went ahead and appeared on James Corden’s program last week, a move that one expert says left Oprah ‘likely livid.

Oprah Winfrey Prince Harry
An expert claims Harry’s appearance on James Corden would agve rubbed Oprah the wrong way. Photo: CBS

In the interview aired on Friday Harry opened up to his long-time friend Corden about the reasons he stepped back from the royal family, clarifying he ‘stepped back’ rather than ‘away’ from the institution.

“It was a really difficult environment, as I think a lot of people saw,” he said. “We all know what the British press can be like, and it was destroying my mental health. I was like, ‘This is toxic.’ So, I did what any husband and what any father would do, and I was like, ‘I need to get my family out of here.’ But we never walked away.”

The very candid admission was likely something intended to be kept under wraps until Oprah’s CBS interview goes to air, with one TV expert, journalist and commentator Benjamin Butterworth saying Harry had inadvertently given away a major exclusive.

“I think they were desperate to get their story out there,” he said. “Anyone that saw James Corden and Prince Harry on Friday, first of all, Oprah must have been livid that he’d already given the line of why he quit the Royals to James Corden so she’s not got that as an exclusive.”

James Corden Prince Harry TV interview
Harry discussions about royal life with James could be seen as taking Oprah’s exclusive away. Photo: CBS

It comes as more and more things come out of the woodwork, seeming to encourage the Sussex duo to pull the plug on their interview.

Yesterday it was claimed that the Duchess had been the subject of a bullying complaint by a former staffer, an allegation that was responded to by the palace in a very rare move.

“We are clearly very concerned about allegations in The Times following claims made by former staff of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex,” the statement, which was released to The Sun, said.

“Accordingly our HR team will look into the circumstances outlined in the article.

“Members of staff involved at the time, including those who have left the Household, will be invited to participate to see if lessons can be learned.

“The Royal Household has had a Dignity at Work policy in place for a number of years and does not and will not tolerate bullying or harassment in the workplace.”

The statement came just hours after Meghan Markle denied claims by royal aides that she faced a bullying complaint by one of her closest advisors during her time at Kensington Palace.

As the Duchess of Sussex prepares for her interview with Oprah Winfrey to air this week, sources approached The Times in the UK to share their side of the story.

The sources claimed Meghan “drove two personal assistants out of the household and was undermining the confidence of a third staff member” according to the paper.

Meghan Harry Oprah interview bullying claims denied
Meghan’s spokespeople call the allegations a ‘smear campaign’. Photo: CBS

The Duchess and her lawyers have denied the claims but said one staff member left after findings of misconduct.

A spokesperson for the Sussexes has said Meghan and Harry are the victims of a calculated smear campaign based on false and harmful information.

In a statement to Town & Country, they said the Duchess was “saddened by this latest attack on her character, particularly as someone who has been the target of bullying herself and is deeply committed to supporting those who have experienced pain and trauma”.

The pair are also under pressure from royal sources to pull the plug while Prince Philip remains in hospital.

Where can you watch Harry and Meghan’s Oprah interviewin Australia?

Despite the upheaval, the Duke and Duchess are going ahead with the program which will air Sunday, March 7 at 8 P.M. in the US, or 3 pm AEDT in Australia.

The interview will be broadcast by Channel 10 at 7:30 Monday, March 8 the network confirmed after much anticipation of which channel would secure the rights to the hotly anticipated exclusive.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: